What Is .925 Silver?

What Is .925 Silver?

What is .925 Silver?

.925 Silver is used to describe genuine sterling silver jewelry that are certified to contain 92.5% pure silver, hence the name!

.925 silver is made up of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% other metals such as copper. These other metals are added to make the alloy stronger and more resistant to tarnishing and corrosion than pure silver, but they do not affect the value of the jewelry piece.

The most common form of this alloy is sterling, which has been used in jewelry making since Roman times when it was introduced by King Henry II in 1158 (Henry II was also responsible for introducing the Tower Bridge).

Silver is often combined with other metals to create a more durable product. Two examples of this are sterling silver and Argentium® Silver. Sterling silver is made of 92.5 percent pure silver, with the remaining 7.5 percent being another metal such as copper or nickel. In contrast, Argentium® Silver contains only 99.9 percent pure silver and 0.1 percent germanium (which gives it its distinctive color).

It's Hypoallergenic!

Silver is hypoallergenic, making it an excellent alternative for those with allergies to gold and other metals.

The term hypoallergenic indicates that a material does not typically cause allergic reactions in most people. This does not mean that all people will be able to wear it without irritation, but silver is considered one of the best choices for those who suffer from metal allergies or sensitivities.

Back to blog

Leave a comment